Updating and using the EO4GEO Body of Knowledge for (AI) concept annotation
- 1Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC), University of Twente, The Netherlands
- 2Department of Geoinformatics, University of Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria
- 3Institute of New Imaging Technologies (INIT), Universitat Jaume I (UJI), Spain
- 4Spatial Applications Division Leuven, KU Leuven, Belgium
- 5Department of Earth Observation, Friedrich-Schiller-University, Jena, Germany
Keywords: Body of Knowledge, concept model, concept annotation, artificial intelligence
Abstract. The EO4GEO Body of Knowledge (BoK) serves as a vocabulary for the domain of geoinformation and earth observation, supporting the annotation of online resources. This paper presents how the BoK is designed, maintained and improved. We discuss how the BoK content can be extended, using the example of integrating artificial intelligence (AI) concepts and show how annotation is done by adding persistent concept identifiers in the metadata of training materials. This platform allows us to share online information with clarified semantics. A prolonged use necessitates the incentivisation of an active expert community and a further adoption of infrastructure standards.